George Brown Fonds, Drafts of the Quebec Resolutions – Amendments to the Provincial Division of Powers (24 October 1864)
By: George Brown
Citation: George Brown Fonds, Drafts of the Quebec Resolutions – Amendments to the Provincial Division of Powers, October 24th, 1864 (MG 24, B 40, Vol. 21, p. 3747).
Other formats: Click here to view the original document (PDF).
Note 1: The transcription still needs to be verified for accuracy.
Note 2: The text also contains handwritten notes and other marginalia. Click here to view an explanatory document on how we have transcribed handwritten notes.
Note 3: Please also note that these drafts will soon be available in book format.
That it shall be competent for the local legislature to make laws respecting:
- [first letter of next word is strikethrough] [inserted in left margin Im] Emigration.
- The sale and management of public lands, excepting lands held for general purposes by the General Government.
- Property and civil rights, excepting those portions thereof assigned to the general legislature.
- Municipal Institutions.
- Inland Fisheries.
- The construction, maintenance and management of Penitentiaries, and of Public and Reformatory Prisons.
- The construction, maintenance and management of Hospitals, Charities and Eleemosynary Institutions.
- All local works.
- The Administration of Justice, and the constitution, maintenance and organization of the Courts, both of Civil and Criminal Jurisdiction.
- The establishment of local offices and the appointment, payment and removal of local officers.
- The power of direct Taxation.
- Borrowing money on the credit of the Province.
- Shop, Saloon, Tavern, and Auctioneer licenses.
- Private and Local matters.
- The Public Debt and Public Property.
- And Generally respecting all matters of a general character, not specially and exclusively reserved for the Local Governments and Legislatures.