Report of the Committee of the Executive Committee (24 March 1865)
By: Executive Council, Viscount Monck, W.H. Lee
Citation: Report of the Committee of the Executive Committee (24 March 1865) in Journal of the Legislative Council of the Province of New Brunswick (1866).
Other formats: Click here to view the original document (PDF).
Copy of a Report of a Committee of the Honorable Executive Council, approved by His Excellency the Governor General on the 24th March, 1865
The Committee respectfully recommend that four Members of Your Excellency’s Council do proceed to England to confer with Her Majesty’s Government–
1. Upon the proposed Confederation of the British North American Provinces, and the means whereby it can be most speedily effected.
2. Upon the arrangement necessary for the defence of Canada in the event of war arising with the United States, and the extent to which the same should be shared between Great Britain and Canada.
3. Upon steps to be taken with reference to the Reciprocity Treaty and the rights conferred by it upon the United States.
4. Upon the arrangements necessary for the settlement of the North West Territory and the Hudson Bay Company’s claims.
5. And generally upon the existing critical state of affairs, by which Canada is most seriously effected.
The Committee further recommend that the following Members of Council be named to form a Delegation, viz:–Messrs. Macdonald, Cartier, Brown, and Galt.
Certified. W.H. LEE, C.E.C.
Leave a Reply